Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Let your poor keep silence in the churches

A difference in body strength is not the only primary difference between men and women. Women are also strong in ways that men are not, and this becomes more evident with age. But women throughout history and the world over have had less access to land and property, or simply put, wealth.

What would you think of a God who decreed,
    Let your poor keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. KJV
It is hard to imagine that God would create a whole class of human beings for silence and submission. I actually do think that 1 Cor. 14:35-36 is an interpolation because it makes so little sense. But how can I argue this honestly when my position is well known.

I admire text criticism a great deal and feel sometimes that I have missed my calling. But I wouldn't want to work in an area where I felt that every little dot, or stigma, or lack thereof, was an attack on my humanity. It would be too stressful. Such a tragedy that some of us previously subordinated women cannot fully enjoy these things. Perhaps this is still to come.

Here are the images from Payne's site, here are the relevant images, and the detailed post.

2 comments:

Lin said...

Or,

Let your slaves keep silent in the church...

Meg said...

Could the meaning of this verse possibly turn on the little word "your"? Perhaps the author deliberately did not say, "Let women", in general, "keep quiet..." because he was referring specifically to the women in Corinth, a church that had unique problems.